Last year, I took over a classroom mid-year. I didn't have much time to decorate, so I did a quick rearrange and change bulletin boards on a weekend. I purged the rest of the year (read about the moldy play dough here) so that I could start off this year FRESH!
I decided that there was NO way I could look at these ugly shelves in my room anymore!
This one actually had wood grain contact paper on top of the ugly shelf. :/
I didn't want to take the time to repaint them, so I made a quick trip to Target. I bought contact paper (not my favorite pattern but beggars can't be choosers), duct tape, and a sheet.
I covered the shelves in contact paper.
To make sure the contact paper sticks, I applied duct tape along all the seams and corners.
I have a TON of velcro in my room, so I ran a strip of velcro across the front.
Then I cut the sheet to fit, hemmed the edges, and applied a strip of velcro to the sheet.
Now my shelves look better, the stuff in the shelves are hidden from sight, and it looks way better!
Best of all, I can easily take this off if I decide I don't like it anymore (or find a better contact paper pattern). It was cheap. I only used a little more than 1 roll of contact paper, less than a roll of duct tape, and 1 flat sheet. And it was quick to do, took a couple of hours to do 3 shelves.